Wednesday, January 27, 2010

This week...

This week we’ve been discussing a few heavy topics; our main focus is how to love people. On Tuesday our topic was Human Trafficking, and today we talked about people in prison. After watching the movie Shawshank Redemption I realized how unfairly people can be treated in prison, although they may have done horrible things in their past they still need love. If Christians don’t step into this role will they ever receive love and knowledge of the Saviour? As we dug deeper into these two topics, I became more frustrated about the situations these people live in. I was especially frustrated with the situations of women and young girls who are being sold into sex trafficking. Nobody should have to live through the horror these women and girls experience every day. Why are we not doing more to end this? As I learnt more about the situation I felt less hopeful, but I realized that I am not alone, rather I am one of many members of the church. So why are we not educating the church about issues such as trafficking? Maybe if more people recognized what was going on in this world, rather than pushing away the facts, we as a church body could make a difference! In Matthew 25:35, 36 it says; “For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.” Jesus is laying out some of the things He will say to us in the end when He will judge us. I know I need to make more of an effort when it comes to loving others as it describes in this passage. Learning about trafficking and prison has opened my eyes and made me ask myself the question, “How can I help?”

No comments:

Post a Comment