Friday, December 11, 2009

Daniel

No Compromise

Hey God! This week we’ve been studying the book of Daniel and I never realized that a book in the Old Testament could have so much impact and say in my life today! Daniel has opened my eyes to many things that I never knew before. Daniel was an amazing servant of yours and even though he was in a vulnerable time at the age that he was when he was taken from his home, he still decided that you were his God and that no one could take that from him. He was so committed to you and would not compromise his faith for anything! This has made me think soo much about my life and all the stuff that I have compromised for you before. For example, when I’m with my ’strong’ Christian friends I make way smarter decisions about what I say and what I watch then when I’m with my ‘not so strong’ Christian friends. I don’t always set a very great example for them. I sometimes act like two different people and Daniel has really reminded me that I shouldn’t compromise my beliefs or values for anything, not popularity, wealth, or even to make myself feel better. Daniel also is not afraid to live for you. He really had NO FEAR. He spoke up against some of the most powerful people in the world at the time and told them, nicely, that he wouldn’t do what they asked of him. He totally trusted you with everything and knew that you would be with him whether it meant life, or death. I would like to be able to say that I’m not afraid of death, but I have to admit that I am a little. There is some part in me that doubts. In my mind I know that you will help me through everything and I really do trust you, but yet when it comes to actually speaking aloud about my faith, I’m scared that you won’t fulfill your promise that comes in Philippians 4:13; “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”. I know I shouldn’t be but yet there is a part of me that is scared. I want to trust you completely and I pray that you would help me to overcome this fear and to be courageous like Daniel who was completely and totally committed to following you. At one point in Daniel’s reign he had the opportunity to let his people, the Jews, out of exile and back to their homeland. But Daniel didn’t do this even though it would have made total sense. You must have put him in that position of authority for that very reason. Daniel, though, didn’t assume anything and decided to listen for your voice instead of doing what seemed totally logical. He humbled himself before you and gave the entire situation into your hands. God, I also ask that you would help me to get rid of my view that you can only speak through situations that I find comfortable. I tend to think that you can only work through the good situations that I come across. The ones that already seem to be Godly and with you as the focus. Please take this view away from me and help me to get a fuller understanding of you and how you work. Also, help me to be able to understand your voice and to know when it is you speaking to me and when it is not. You are the only God for me and I pray that this would be soo evident in my life that people would instantly know, when they see me, that I belong to you. I want to burn brightly for you and to serve you with all my heart, soul, and strength. Just like Daniel, I want to have such a deep love for you that there would be no thought of ever serving something else. Please tear down anything in my life that might be becoming and idol and fill it with a deep, deep passion for you and to know you more. I ask that you would just be with me and help me to remember these lessons that you have taught me and will teach me through the great example that you have shown the world through your servant Daniel. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment